Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I review "The Fault in Our Stars" on Goodreads

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Originally I avoided this book. I'm not typically a fan of real-life fiction, though I have, on occasion, indulged.

Eventually, as I was a fan of John Green's work on You Tube, I decided I would go ahead and read it.

It was fantastic. Even though I normally get bored with reading about the boring events of boring fiction (a.k.a. realistic fiction), the tone of this book was such that even the most boring things (going to a cancer survivors group, for instance) was enjoyable. The characters were fun and quirky, but not to the point of being obviously falsified; I would believe these were real people had someone told me this was a work of non-fiction.

But, of course, many characters are interesting and fun, even in otherwise uninteresting books. This was not the case. The story, though meandering at first, ended up keeping me reading long into the night. I ended up finishing the book in about two sittings, which is exceedingly rare for me. And. . .wow. Just wow. No other words can describe the story directly.

This book is short enough that anyone could probably finish it quickly, be it for a book club or a school assignment. That does not mean the story was not complete. This is one of the few books that I would recommend to literally any person who asked me which book they should read next. Even my favorite books aren't as poignant and life affirming as this book was to me and will be to anyone who reads it.

Do yourself a favor: read this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment